Universal Credit

Universal Credit is replacing certain benefits as part of the Government’s Welfare Reform changes. It will be single a payment that will eventually replace the following benefits:

  • Income Support.
  • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance.
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
  • Housing Benefit.
  • Child Tax Credit.
  • Working Tax Credit.

From October 2013, Universal Credit has been introduced gradually across the country. It is the Government’s intention that everyone who currently claims any of the above benefits will be transferred to Universal Credit. Under Universal Credit, all claims will be processed by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP).

How Will it Affect You?

  • Universal Credit will be paid directly to you every month in arrears.
  • You will be responsible for paying your own rent.
  • You will need a bank account to receive Universal Credit.
  • You can only claim Universal Credit online.

If you need help with opening a bank account, advice on how to claim online or more general money advice, contact your Housing Officer or our Financial Inclusion Adviser, Jason Herbert, on 020 8768 7925, or via email on jherbert@hexagon.org.uk.