Co-op tenants – who does what?

William Blake House

The Co-operative’s Responsibility:

  • Day to day responsive repairs and maintenance
  • Lettings (a % are let through the local authority)
  • Tenancy management such as dealing with mutual exchanges, dealing with noise nuisance, parking, name changes etc.
  • Anti-social behaviour
  • Service charges for communal repairs and cleaning and grounds maintenance
  • Collecting your rent and managing arrears and universal credit payments
  • Gas safety – annual safety checks and testing boilers
  • Fire safety – making sure communal hallways are clear, testing alarms
  • Legionella and asbestos safety
  • Policies on all of the above (except mutual exchange and tenancy changes)
  • Complaints and compliments about the above

If in doubt you should contact your co-op landlord first.

Hexagon Housing Association’s Responsibility:

  • Programmed and cyclical maintenance such as roofing, external painting, boiler replacement and kitchen/bathroom renewal
  • Works over £1500 – but the co-op will deal with it initially
  • If you need to transfer to another Hexagon home as long as you meet our criteria
  • Services charges if you have bought your co-op home through the Right to Acquire scheme
  • Registering gas safety certificates on the Hexagon system
  • Conducting Fire Risk Assessments and ensuring actions are taken
  • Installing fire safety appliances such as alarms and fire doors
  • Policies all policies on the above as well as those by leglislation such as Mutual Exchange, tenancy changes and ensuring the co-ops fulfill their legal landlord obligations
  • Monitoring the co-op’s performance